What is Social Media “YOUTH” Camp
Don’t miss Victoria’s rare opportunity to meet world-renowned speaker, author, TED speaker, and Forbes Magazine Top 20 Under 20, Dale Stephens. Dale leads a positive session all about the coming (and already here) changes in education that you won’t want to miss!
On Saturday May 3rd from 10:00am we are excited to launch the first-of-its-kind, Social Media YOUTH Camp!
Sessions are held in a casual environment where you can kick-back and take it in or jump in and get involved.
All are welcome to attend however the content is specifically designed for those aged 13-19 who are interested in sharing their experiences & learning from each other:
- Youth aged 13-19
- Teachers and Educators
- Community Leaders
What is online life like for the average young Canadian.
- 49% of Grade 4 students have access to their own phone or someone else’s on a regular basis.
- About 1/3 of students have gone online to ask an ‘expert’ of other kids about personal problems.
- 39% of students with cell phones sleep with them in case they get a call or text during the night
- 78% of students use the Internet to find information about news, health issues & relationships.
- 95% of Grade 11 students have a Facebook account.
- 7 of their top 10 websites allow users to share information and content about themselves.
- 16% of households have NO rules about using the Internet
- Dale Stephens – Author of “UnCollege” Hacking Your Education
- Darren and Brandon Laur – Internationally renowned speakers on Privacy and Security
- Erinne Paisely – Grade 11 Student at Reynolds High School
- Faelan Prentice – Grade 12 Student at Reynolds High School
- Dr. Janni Aargon – Acting Director Technology Integrated Learning, University of Victoria
- Julia-Anne Cameron – Volunteer Victoria
- Sean Smith – CyberLeader – Teens Taking Action on CyberBullying
- Christopher Mackie – Lawyer
What to Bring
There’s plenty of free wifi so bring your favourite device so you can put what you learn into practice or connect with friends. There is a lunch time session with Darren and Brandon Laur so bring a bag lunch if you’d like. There are lots of restaurants and shops in the area but you won’t want to miss anything so best to bring some grub.
We are excited to welcome you the first Social Media YOUTH Camp at the 5th annual SMC in beautiful Victoria BC. We look forward to seeing you in Victoria this May.
The SMC Team